May 21, 2020
In this episode join Isi Caulder and Laurence MacPhie as they discuss intellectual property considerations in the context of artificial intelligence (AI) in healthcare.
This episode will cover:
- IP protection opportunities for AI in healthcare
- the role AI is playing in the COVID-19 crisis
- IP rights hindering R&D/access to critical supplies during a pandemic
- how IP rights are helping facilitate collaborations and sharing of data
- how AI will help healthcare post-crisis
May 6, 2020
In this podcast, Patricia Folkins, will discuss the following:
- Brief overview of the main changes brought in by the new Patent Rules;
- The impact of the new Rules on patent applicants and practitioners;
- Discussion of COVID-19 extensions of time in relation to the new Rules; and
- Overview of what is to come.
December 12, 2019
In this podcast, our founding partner, Daniel Bereskin provides insights into a pragmatic approach to trademark law.
Listen to episode 10 to find out:
- how common sense is relevant to Intellectual Property;
- how common sense helps in resolving trademark issues;
- how to apply common sense when citing legal precedent; and
- the role common sense plays in dispute resolution.
December 10, 2019
Des modifications importantes à certaines lois sur la propriété intellectuelle sont entrées en vigueur cette année. Joignez-vous à François Larose et Amy Dam qui discuteront de certaines des modifications importantes à la Loi sur les marques de commerce, entrées en vigueur le 17 juin 2019, et à la Loi sur les brevets et aux Règles sur les brevets, entrées en vigueur le 30 octobre dernier, notamment :
- les changements au régime des marques de commerce les plus susceptibles d’affecter les entreprises;
- l’impact sur les entreprises et les inventeurs des modifications quant aux brevets;
- autres changements récents sur l’affichage des marques de commerce et des règles quant au cannabis au Canada et au Québec.
December 4, 2019
In this podcast, Naomi Zener and Tamara Céline Winegust will look at strategies to address online infringement in view of two recent cases handed down by the Federal Court. Hear about Canada’s first site blocking order against a ‘pirate’ site, and a case that suggests the demise of the reverse class action as a means to address illegal file sharing.
September 19, 2019
Important changes to the Canadian Patent Act and Rules will be coming into force on October 30, 2019. Join Laurence MacPhie and Andrea Berenbaum for a discussion of how these changes will affect Canada’s patent system including:
- context for the changes and Canada’s treaty obligations;
- how the new Patent Act and Rules will change your patent practice; and
- discussion of the new third party rights regime and significant changes to the abandonment and reinstatement provisions
September 18, 2019
In this episode, Janice Bereskin and Mina Chana discuss Canada’s new Trademark Law and practices, which took effect on June 17.
Topics include: new filing procedures, examination, classification and the Madrid Protocol.
August 1, 2019
Continuing from Part 1, Toronto lawyer, Jennifer McKenzie of Bereskin & Parr LLP and Colorado-based attorney, Garrett Graff, of Hoban Law Group compare and contrast the federal Canadian and U.S. state-by-state regulatory landscapes in the branding and promotion of cannabis and cannabis accessories.
July 25, 2019
A discussion of the differences in the regulation of cannabis branding and promotions between Canada and the U.S.
Toronto lawyer, Jennifer McKenzie of Bereskin & Parr LLP and Colorado-based attorney, Garrett Graff, of Hoban Law Group compare and contrast the federal Canadian and U.S. state-by-state regulatory landscapes in the branding and promotion of cannabis and cannabis accessories.
June 26, 2019
Join François Larose as he discusses Breaking the Québec Language Law Barrier in Episode 4.
This episode will cover:
Discussion on changes to the Charter of the French Language’s Regulations on non-French trademarks affixed on store-front signage and the upcoming deadline to comply; and
Review of some other provisions affecting trademark use in Québec.